1888, built in the same year as its name, is a heritage listed former teachers training residential college. NMBW’s design for its renovation seeks to preserve, celebrate and complement the original heritage fabric of the building, while allowing it to continue to function as an educational facility in the 21st century. The 1888 building accommodates the Graduate School Association, hosting a series of staff offices, private and group study rooms, student lounges, meeting rooms and ground floor retail tenancies flanked by two large external courtyards.
The major renovation works include the removal of a previous addition to allow for a new north facing courtyard with verandah, deck and planting. This has established a new relationship between the original building fabric and the rest of the campus, allowing for significant heritage elements to be experienced in a new way. As part of these works, a new lift has been integrated into the original building, providing equitable access to all levels while maintaining the integrity of the structure.
New materials have been introduced with careful consideration in relation to the original palette. The design includes contemporary, high quality materials that are also ornamental and strong enough to engage confidently with, and in celebration of, the original Victorian architecture in a complementary and contemporary manner.
This project is part of the University of Melbourne’s New Student Precinct.