This project works across multiple existing buildings and spaces to unify a creative precinct, elaborating the aims of the Caulfield Campus masterplan to shift from a campus of isolated buildings separated by car parks to a continuous active ground plane with integrated buildings. A range of workshops and production spaces across the precinct were rationalised and relocated to prime ground-floor locations.
Ground levels of heritage structures Buildings D (1922) and E (1949) are reworked to accommodate art studios, timber and steel workshops and the MADA Gallery. A new courtyard design adjusts levels to provide wheeled access and external aprons to all workshop spaces, becoming an active working space, passive relaxation space or focussed event space at different times of year. The north-facing courtyard frontage of Building D has been converted from plant room back-of-house to a public gallery, with its entrance located in a sunny spot opposite the existing café and suitable for public and student-led events.